Thursday, July 22, 2010

Memories

Its such a hot and humid day here and the only thing that I remember are my evening trips to Marina Beach, Chennai when I was living there. The evening sea breeze and the street food around always perked me up. The trip always included bhutta or coal grilled corn and spiced green mango. While I couldn't replicate the mango, I did have some corn on the cob in my fridge and I decided to make this super simple all season street food. I just grilled the corn on my gas stove top (make sure you have the stem still on if you don't have a corn tong!) until it was nice and toasted all over. Like you can see, I like mine REALLY well toasted. While it was grilling, I made a "glaze" of lemon juice, red chilli powder and salt. Once the corn was done, I just brushed on the lemon juice mix and ate my way through it!

Since I am in the mood to revisit old times - dinner time is no exception. When I was living in a hostel in Delhi, I'd visit my grandparents almost every weekend. At least once every alternate weekend, my grandmom would make this extremely simple yet super tasty dinner that would include paneer bhurji (scrambled Indian style cottage cheese), and masoor dal (red lentils) with rotis. So when Eatomaniac posted her recipe on Paneer Bhurji stuffed peppers, I had to try it! By the way, I love the Eatomaniac blog. The recipes posted are easy to follow and I definitely appreciate the ideas that follow the recipe.

Luckily I had just bought some colorful yellow and orange peppers a few days back and it was a perfect opportunity to use them. To the paneer bhurji ingredients already posted, I adjusted the paneer amounts to also include finely diced mushrooms which I added between the corn/green peas step and the paneer step. I also added cut green beans. Instead of red chilli powder I used finely chopped green chillies. Just another thought - sometimes to add another flavor profile, I use the oil from Indian pickles that I have at home to cook the meal. It gives the dish a subtle tangy flavor that I quite enjoy. On the left is a picture of the stuffed peppers before they went into the oven.

I leave you with a picture of my dinner plate and many thanks to Eatomaniac!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you liked the recipe. I enjoyed reading your experience of making it. And... lovely pictures :)I would love it if you participated in an event I am running all through this month where I'd like to hear from readers with creative recipe ideas - let your imagination run wild! http://www.eatomaniac.com/2010/07/chile-rellenos-exotic-stuffed-peppers.html

    ReplyDelete