Thursday, July 15, 2010

Berry berry nice cake

After a lethargic morning and lack of productivity, I wondered what would be the best way to get my spirits up again. Well, a sugar high would definitely help. A raid on the fridge gave me a box of raspberries and blueberries along with eggs and butter. The result - a perfect summery berry cake!

In search of recipes, I came across this one which sounded perfect. However, I had to put some healthy spin on it - so - instead of all purpose flour went in wheat flour, buttermilk got substituted for home made apple sauce, I used "I Cannot Believe its not butter" instead of regular butter. The only other adjustment I made was that I used brown sugar and not white sugar. I don't think they're nutritionally different, I just like the texture & taste of brown sugar better in baked goods.The above is a picture of the cake before it went into the oven at 400F for 25 mins.

How did I make the apple sauce? I boiled chunks of 1 apple and some baking dates (a gift from a friend who was moving away for the summer) with cinnamon powder in 2-3 inches of water till everything softened down. I mashed it with a potato masher to give a chunky sauce. Here's the cake in its full glory after spending about 25 mins in the oven.

The cake was a refreshing change from my usual chocolate based cakes and with the fresh fruit and other healthy spins, you just don't feel as guilty eating this! This is my slice of berry nice heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment